Sunday, April 11, 2010

Blog 2- Observations/ Results

After conducting the experiment these were my results what I found.
My findings: There were clear differences between the control and experimental group.
1st time- The first time the people in the elevator were: a college aged male, a young woman with a baby, and two boys around the age of 13-15.
My findings- No one reacted drastically but I got looks from the two boys. They stared at me until we reached the 1st floor. The college aged male wasn’t paying attention he had headphones on he was already in the elevator before me. The young woman with the baby gave me a look when first entering but did not look at me any further once she entered the elevator.
2nd time- The elevator became too full. It was hard to keep count of the people on who they were but I was naturally pushed to the back and hence did not get any reactions. No one paid any attention to me.
3rd time- The third time the people in the elevator were: a middle aged man, a woman with a girl, a young man, and a teenaged girl and boy.
My findings- The most interesting reaction occurred here. The middle aged man asked me if I was ok and when I answered I was fine he continued to stare at me until he got off on 2nd floor. The teenaged girl and boy also stared but did not do anything further the boy kept pointing it out to the girl. The woman with the girl kept telling the girls who were staring and making comments to stop. The young man stared for a few second when I first entered but just avoided me. He stayed away.
4th time- The fourth time the people in the elevator were: a young couple, 3 elementary school kids (a girl and 2 boys).
My findings- The three elementary school kids were the most interesting here they were pointing fingers and laughing. The young couple was visibly getting uncomfortable and avoided me.
5th time- The fifth time the people in the elevator were: a man, a woman, and a group of three women, who entered at once.
My findings- The man gave the most significant reaction. He kept staring back and giving me looks. It was apparent he was getting uncomfortable. The three women were talking animatedly about something to pay much attention and the woman was on the phone but kept giving me looks.

Results conclusions/ what observations show- There was a clear difference in reactions between me standing the normal way and me breaking the social norm and standing the wrong way.

No comments:

Post a Comment